Captivating (part 1)






reposting from last year......

CAPTIVATING is a book by John and Stasi Eldredge. John Eldredge wrote a book for men entitled "Wild at Heart" and the book is so powerful, so much that it is through this book that I learned how to be a woman. I'm hooked up with the woman's counterpart of the book which is equally engrossing and powerful and it is this book called Captivating. One time as I share my own story about how I despised Beauty in the past (I used to feel and think that I am ugly and I don’t want to smile otherwise I am attracting men, later I discovered that God loves and enjoys me the way I am, I am now more comfortable in being the woman God created me to be, I am holy and my beauty comes from my continuous abiding in him, I love being a woman now) and how God redeemed me on my concept of beauty someone suggested that I read this book Captivating because my story and my struggles are the very subject tackled in the book. I was intrigued at first to find out that my story is found in this book or that at least I have the same revelation as the author’s. Finally, I am now able to take hold of a copy and found time to read it. Sure enough I can't put it down and later after my brother's prompting, I'm inspired to write a brief overview of it. Now, here it goes although I may just give you glimpses of it as I am still reading and chewing every morsel of thought in this book.

There are three core desires in the heart of a woman: 1) to be romanced, ( to be desired, be sought after, be pursued, be rescued), 2) to play an irreplaceable role in an adventure ( the warrior side, play an irreplaceable role in a great story, make an impact) and 3) beauty to unveil (display beauty, women is the crowning glory of creation, the most intricate of all creation, desire to be beautiful, to be captivating, possess a beauty that is worth fighting for, worth pursuing for, beauty that can be seen, beauty that can be felt, beauty that affects others; a beauty all our own to unveil).

The heart of man also has three core desires and uniquely masculine: 1) battle to fight (in fact, passivity might make a man "safe", but it has done untold damage to women in the long run. It certainly did to Eve), 2) adventure to live (adventure it's a spiritual longing in the heart of every man, it requires something of men, puts men to the test, they may fear the test but yearns to e tested, the thrill of knowing what it takes) 3) a beauty to rescue (a man needs a battle to fight and someone to fight for. There is nothing that inspires a man to courage so much as the woman he loves, men long to offer their strength on behalf of the women these show how beautifully each of man's heart fits well with the woman's and vise versa. A beautiful woman in the presence of a man who will offer strength for her. "A woman in the presence of a good man, a real man, loves being a woman. His strength allows her feminine heart to flourish. His pursuit draws out her beauty. And a man in the presence of a real woman loves being a man. Her beauty arouses him to play the man, it draws out his strength. She inspires him to be a hero. Each core desires of each man and woman also reflect and reveal the very heart of God. The difference of each role and the uniqueness of their make up is not a weakness but their glory. Men define themselves with the battle they have fought while women define themselves with their relationships. As God longs to captivate us, he also longs to have a relationship with us. Woman is inviting, tender and alluring, fiercely devoted. God reveals himself likewise as a passionate, devoted, romantic side- look at Eve.

Woman is the greatest helpmate; "it is not good for man to be alone" means woman is not just needed but is desperately needed. Just like God, a help in times of need, help and shield, lifesaver, (men wants a battle to fight and women are their lifesaver or inspiration), an essential part as God is essential. An irreplaceable role to play that's why women have ability to suffer great hardships. God is beautiful beyond description, nature is not all about function but beauty, God is shining and radiant in beauty. Beauty is the essence of a woman too.

Women were given by God a beautiful in form as well as beautiful spirit and grace. She simply expresses beauty in who she is. Like God, beauty is her essence. For man, it is awkward to find him beautiful in naked form; his essence is not beauty but man in action. There is something disturbing in man’s PASSIVITY. He should bear the image of God who is a warrior. Man's passivity defies his essence and the way he bears God's image just as it is doesn’t look right to see a woman in a brutal combat.

Beauty speaks of peace, rest, comfort, the promise of a new day. Beauty says, “All will be well". A woman comfortable in her beauty is enjoyable to be with. She is lovely and refreshing to be with; you can hardly hold your breath. Beauty also invites, as in a beautiful garden you want to explore, you long to discover, and it holds you, draws you and you can't wait to spend time. With it. Beauty nourishes, beauty comforts, beauty inspires and these are the most misunderstood qualities of God. A woman knows deep down in her soul that she longs to bring beauty to the world. She longs for a beauty to unveil, "not to get a man" but this is her design, her essence. Just as much as God wants to explode beauty in the world.

Comments

Jace said…
I like this entry... it's inspiring... thanks for the kind words in my blog claire... I miss you too!
Anonymous said…

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Talk

Everything's New

Psalm 23 (For the Work Place)